Friday, September 10, 2010

Livin' the Life

Today's song is "Livin the Life" by Group 1 Crew. In this song the group speaks of how they used to act and live life thinking it was just a joke or a game and not really caring about their actions. Things all change when they decide to answer God's call. "I can't believe where you're taking me / you give me hope to believe now I'm living the life."

Now that I've done my usual song plug I'd like to write about what has been going on in life and maybe you'll figure out why I chose this song. As you can probably tell I haven't written anything on here in FOREVER! I always told myself "alright you're going to write today" or "Wow a lot has been happening and you can totally write about this" but I haven't. Why? I'm not really sure. Things got really busy and a lot of things happened. In this post I'll stick to the positive things that happened as I'll be writing a tribute post next.

Since my last time posting I've had a lot of changes and experiences. During the last week of June I got the great opportunity to serve the members of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. This mission trip was put on by YouthWorks!, an amazing organization based out of Minneapolis, MN who puts on mission trips for youth around the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

There are many scripture verses that talk about serving others. 1 Peter 4:10 says "As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace" This verse really speaks the truth and encourages me to want to take Peter's words to heart and serve. We have all been given gifts by God. We are called to use these gifts, whether they be writing, strength, athletic ability, speaking skills, or compassion for others. God gave you these gifts to serve his people. Now that's not to say you can't use your gifts for your profession as well. If you are a gifted speaker, use that in your professional life, but also use it to give back to God by serving those who need it.

In my week of serving the people of Pine Ridge I truly saw Peter's words come to life. Each and every one of us were using the gifts we had been given to serve God. I saw it through everybody using the strength they were given to continually work to paint the house even in the hot sun. I saw it in the students who played basketball with the kids at Kid's Club as well as the students who sat and listened to what the kids wanted to do and who read with them. Seeing everyone serve really brought to mind Paul's words in his letters to the Romans. Paul says in Romans 12: 1 "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Each and every adult and student (and the YouthWorks staff) gave up their lives and their bodies that week to be servants of the Lord. They gave themselves up as a sacrificial worship to God for the good he has given them in their lives. We worshiped him in song, in devotional time, in the reading of his word, and in our serving the Pine Ridge community. Each day we must offer up our day to God. This can be as simple as praying: Lord I thank you for another day on Earth and another day to serve your people (whether this be by example or literally getting your hands dirty). Please Lord use me today. Take my day and make it yours. For it is you alone that I worship and you alone that I give my praise. Use me, take me, and guide me. I love your Lord. In your son Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Paul Says in Romans 12:6-7 "Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in accordance to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching." Our gifts are different from everyone around us. Alone we can use our gifts to serve others, together we can serve an even greater amount of people using the gifts given. Think of it this way. One person was given the gift of speaking in public, but isn't sure what to say. Another is given the gift of writing, but is afraid to speak them to the public. Alone they can serve others, but together their serving can be greater. Through our serving, and taking the opportunities to serve that God presents us we can truly be "Livin the Life"

Lord,
Thank you for all the wonderful opportunities to serve you and your people. Help us to recognize these opportunities and those who need our servings. Help us to say yes to the opportunities you give us. Lord we thank you for the gifts you have given us. Help us to use them to serve, and to know what they are. Lord please bring us together to serve so that we can serve the greatest amount of people. Your love for us is so great God and you are worthy of our praise. Help us to take time to worship you and to remember that we are serving not for our own sake but to give you glory. Help us to offer our lives to you and to let you work through us. Take us, move us, make us a part of you. We love you so much God, Father. In the name of your son Jesus Christ we pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment