Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Valley of the Shadows

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. -Psalm 23:4



Today I got the unfortunate news that somebody I had graduated with, been comfirmed with, and served on a mission trip to Mississippi with died. Not only was his life ended, but it was at his own hands. Now I wasn't super close to this person, but I felt that I knew him on a deeper level than most by witnessing the growth of his faith in Jesus Christ.

What compels somebody to take their own life is a hard question, usually one that goes unanswered. Unfortunately this world is full of a lot of pain. Some people deal with it decently, and some are unable to handle it. It seems like its always the kids that you would least suspect. In the case of this friend not only was he a joyful smiling young man, but he always showed compassion and love towards others, much like the love Christ showed us. He always seemed so happy and full of life. A lot of questions arise when it comes to taking one's life. One of the biggest questions is does a Christian who commits suicide go to heaven? The bible has the answer for us.

First off it is my belief that Christians who commit suicide do have a place in heaven. Many argue that suicide is a sin too powerful to forgive going against the commandment "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13). We are saved by the grace of God and not by works. In Ephesians 2:8-9 it says and I quote: "8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast." Another verse that clarifies the assurance of salvation for a believer states that: “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life" (John 5:24). Reading these verses has truly helped bring me comfort today. It's been hard and I miss the guy bunches. I know that he's in heaven with God and Jesus our savior. I look forward to the day that I can meet him again and that he welcomes me to paradise and everlasting life.

It's hard for people to understand why one would ever commit suicide. This is something I strugle to understand anytime the conversation comes up. In the bible it is said that "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11). God has a plan for all of us. This plan has nothing to do with harming us. The harm and pain we experience comes from our sins and our disobedience to God, but salvation is for those who receive it. Suicide is not the answer, and never will be. We all have pain and problems, but Jesus told us "Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). He will give us rest from our problems and our worry. Suicide and depression are a big problem in this world. We need to be able to reach out to those who need it most. More than anything though we need to reach out to each other.

It seems that death has an unfortunate effect to bring people together. Why does it have to be in death of someone we all loved and who loved us all that my high school class (Class of 09) comes together. Why does it take something so tragic to bring people together? If we all show each other the love and compassion that this young man, whose life ended too soon and too young, showed to us and to everyone he met it wouldn't have taken his death for us all to be so close. Unfortunately we are stuck with the mentality that we have to pick on others, look down on the less popular, look down on the more popular, and treat others like crap to feel good about our own insecurities. Life is too short to hold grudges, to treat other poorly, and to live your life like a jerk. Find the compassion and love that Christ and our young friend showed to everyone they met. Wear a smile on your face and be friendly. Walk with that extra spring in your step, and know that you're making a difference in the lives of others. Blessings on faith journey and on your journey to a better place. Love you all. One love, one heart, one God.

No comments:

Post a Comment